10 Free Typing Practice Activities for Students
Type Rocket is a free typing game from ABCya. Type Rocket is a sixty second game in which students make fireworks explode by typing the letters that appear on the rockets in the games. In the sixty second span of the game students try to correctly type as many letters as they possibly can. The rockets speed up as the game progresses.
Z-Type is a simple and fun typing game. The game has an easy level and a difficult level. The game is played the same way on both levels. To play Z-Type all that you have to do is go to the website and type the words that are falling from the top of the screen. When you have correctly typed a word a laser shoots it. The object is to shoot the words before they reach the bottom of the screen.
If you want students to take a break from the games, have them use Typing Speed Monitor for Google Chrome. Typing Speed Monitor is a Google Chrome extension that will track how fast you type and what keys you use most frequently. If you do a lot of writing online, Typing Speed Monitor is one way to get accurate feedback on your typing proficiency in real-world settings. The latest version of Typing Speed Monitor allows you to opt out of having it track your typing on domains you specify. For example, if you don’t want it to track how fast you type on Facebook, you can exclude that domain.
Typing Adventure is a nice little game that young students can use to practice their typing skills. To play the game students just have to visit the game site, read the directions, and press start. The game scenario presented to students is a character leaping from stepping stone to stepping stone. To move along the path students have to type the letters of the stones they want to jump to. Students earn points based on speed and accuracy.
Good Typing is a free online typing skill development program. Good Typing provides 27 graduated lessons designed to help students learn to use their entire keyboards correctly. Unlike some free online typing programs, Good Typing offers support twenty different keyboard styles including US style, Japanese style, and several European languages.
Dance Mat Typing is a nice little resource from the BBC. Young students (four to eight years old) can receive clear, informative typing instruction through Dance Mat Typing. There are four levels for students to work through. Within each level there are multiple lessons and practice activities. The very first lesson that students receive is placement of their hands on the keyboard. Each lesson and practice activity offers instant feedback in visual and audio form.
Word Games offers a large collection of online word games and typing games. The word games range from simple word searches and crosswords to games that require players to complete sentences and phrases. The typing games are a mix of simple sentence typing for speed and games that require accuracy to “defend” a character or move a character through a scene. Some of the games featured on Word Gamescan be either downloaded to your computer, see Typing Defense, others can be embedded into your blog or website.
Typing Web is an online typing tutorial that provides instant feedback after every free typing lesson. Typing Web offers beginner through advanced typing lessons for free. You can register to track your progress or you can use Typing Web without registering.
Listen and Write is a great way for students to improve their typing skills and hear about the news. Listen and Write plays short audio clips of news stories and users type what they hear. The audio clips are relatively short, come in a few different levels, and registered users can track their progress.
Power Typing hosts a small collection of five typing games that students can use to develop their typing skills. Power Typing also offers typing lessons for Qwerty and Dvorak keyboards. The two games that I found easiest to access are Alphabetic Rainand See Don’t.
- forevertrapt reblogged this from techedblog
- jaisejose reblogged this from techedblog
- mpearson4 likes this
- sisterb likes this
- caucusesfar reblogged this from techedblog
- teachreadingwrite reblogged this from techedblog
- snyderly likes this
- mspoons5thgrade likes this
- cmarie827 likes this
- jalopyrustbucket reblogged this from techedblog
- cderby reblogged this from betheteacheryouloved
- virtualdust likes this
- coolstuffinmycorner reblogged this from techedblog
- charleslollar likes this
- betheteacheryouloved reblogged this from techedblog and added:
- djtk likes this
- annoraong likes this
- 77antonio77 reblogged this from techedblog
- gonxha likes this
- insideateachersmind likes this
- msangsta likes this
- gettinoffmybutt likes this
- missknightinshingingarmor reblogged this from adiemtocarpe
- whilelistentorockandroll likes this
- j2suave likes this
- wroutt72 reblogged this from techedblog
- mychemical-necromance reblogged this from adiemtocarpe
- mychemical-necromance likes this
- thefreelancecynic reblogged this from techedblog
- lifethroughalookingglass likes this
- pluckyisaducky reblogged this from adiemtocarpe
- adiemtocarpe reblogged this from techedblog and added:
- adiemtocarpe likes this
- hansed likes this
- johannaaa likes this
- diyeducationservices reblogged this from techedblog
- jalopyrustbucket likes this
- everlong87 likes this
- prettipetite likes this
- trek-boldly likes this
- blackbayoubengal reblogged this from techedblog
- inspirationaladventures likes this
- bexelated likes this
- shineshining likes this
- angel-headed-hipsters likes this
- yourcutecasualcrazyneighbor likes this
- littlelomenta likes this
- feshfesh likes this
- ihatecaptchas77 reblogged this from techedblog
- ihatecaptchas77 likes this